93 Blogging topics for beginners
Are you looking for some great blogging topics for beginners so you can start your very first blog?
That’s great to hear, because it means you are giving your blog topics some thought and this will help you plan your blog for success!
In this post I’ll show you how to come up with a blog topic ideas that will actually attract readers and I’ve made a list of 80+ blogging topics for beginners to get you inspired!
Please share this post.
I may earn a small commission for affiliate links in this post at no extra cost to you. Please read my disclaimer for more information.
What should a beginner write on a blog?
Writing your first blog post can be scary, but the only way to start is to just do it!
Your first few blog post won’t be great but that’s ok, you will get better the more you write.
So what are good topics to start a blog with? Your hobbies? Your passions? Your personal life?
Probably the most important thing to be aware of when starting a blog is that you should write for your audience. You need to write about topics that they are searching for, so the most important thing to figure out is to know WHO you’re writing for…
To help you out, I’ve created a blog planner that asks all the right question, so you can start your blog with clear focus and intention.
You can grab my free blog planner workbook here:
Get The Free Blog Planner Workbook
How do I find blog topics that are in demand?
My favourite way to find blog topics is in Google. Simply type in a question or blog post idea in the search bar and see what comes up in the search results.
For example: If you’re thinking of starting a blog about gardening, you could type in the search bar How to start a worm farm.
The cool thing about Google is that it will try to finish your sentence for you with search terms that people actually search for.
Here’s a screenshot of how Google tries to finish my search query.
As you can see Google will provide you with a wealth of blog topic ideas to choose from. If you want to pick the blog topic that gets the most searches, you can go to Ubersuggest and type your blog post idea or question in the Ubersuggest search bar and see what search volume comes up (you get 5 free searches per month). Or if you want to get serious about finding the right keywords and phrases you can use keyword search tools like SEMrush or KeySearch.
In the screenshot below you can see that this particular search query gets 880 searches per month.
When you’re a new blogger, it may be hard to rank in Google for very popular search terms because many other bloggers with more established sites will outrank you for these keywords.
You could try one of the less obvious search terms that you might have more chance ranking for. In the example below you can see that the search term How to set up a 4 tier worm farm has a lot less searches, but the SEO difficulty is a lot lower too.
So when you’re first starting out, I recommend targeting longer key phrases with a lower search volume, as these are likely to be less competitive.
If you’d spend a bit more time on keyword research, you’ll probably find a key phrase that gets a lot more than 10 searches that you can still rank for.
Other ways to find unique blog topics
Bloggers usually browse through comment sections (theirs and other’s), look at their data traffic on past posts, and look at their interactions with the audience to learn what topics are trending and what to write about next.
As a newbie, you don’t have that privilege. What you can do, however, is to write short, bite-sized pieces on a variety of topics that relate to your main subject and publish them, 5-7 would do. When you get sufficient data traffic on each of them, analyse it and see which one did the best. That’s your clue. Write more about that topic and see what resonates with your audience the most.
You also need to keep a bit of variety going in terms of post lengths for the initial few weeks to see which structure and format clicks with your crowd. Once you have data to back on, you can narrow down your blogging niche and audience.
Ok, so now you have a bit of an idea how to find blog topics that are popular, let’s have a look at my list of blogging topics for beginners for further inspiration.
Blog Topic Ideas for Beginners
When you are just starting, the first thing you need to do is find your voice. What makes a successful blog is an authentic and passionate voice with a unique, very personal perspective that makes people relate to you.
It means writing about something that you are good at, something that you love and have experienced, so you can write from a place of expertise and authority.
With that said, here are 7 popular blogging categories with each their own unique blog content ideas for beginners.
Blog ideas for teens
If you’re a teenager who enjoys writing, starting a blog could be a great little business idea for you! If you have certain skills or hobbies, you could blog about this and possibly create tutorials on how to do something.
Here’s some great blog ideas for teens:
- X exercise routines that are not boring
- How I overcame (teen problem) and you can too
- How to start your own You Tube channel
- 5 Quick hairstyles that won’t make you miss the buss
- My top 3 beauty products I can’t live without
- X hacks to keep your parents happy so you can have more freedom
- Kids craft tutorials
- Unboxing videos
- ASMR videos
- Technology (product reviews and/or tutorials)
- Budgeting & shopping tips
- Drawing tips and techniques
Blog topic ideas for students
Blogging is a great online job for college students. With low startup costs and flexible working hours, blogging suits student life perfectly! Here are some unique blog ideas for students.
- How to save money while in college
- X Crypto trading tips for students
- How to design your own app
- Relationship advice for students
- X Healthy dinner ideas for $3 or less
- How to start an online business while still in college
- Gig & party guide (for your city) for students
- How to design a logo for your student blog
- X best travel destinations for your gap year
- Mental health blog for students
Travel Blog Ideas for Beginners
If you are a traveling enthusiast and looking for travel blog ideas for beginners, I’ve got some good stuff for you here.
Travel blogs are some of the most popular types of blogs out there, so, the competition will be fierce. But, with a unique point of view and a genuine connection with your content, you can break through the noise.
- X Fears I overcome as an adventure traveler every time I take a trip
- What I’ve learned going on an all-girls trip
- X Unexpected travel expenses and ways to avoid them
- The best photo spots when you visit (insert destination)
- X best places for a staycation for a luxurious yet lazy weekend
- Don’t lose your sanity when planning your first solo trip
- What are some of the things you always take with you on a trip?
- Here’s your two-day itinerary for a city break
- What type of souvenirs should you bring home?
- Best for a honeymoon or a trip with friends? I rate these 5 famous destinations
- X Best travel apps to help you have a great trip
- Here’s what I am doing to make my travels more eco-friendly
- Handy tips and tricks for planning a group trip
- Traveling with pets: best and worst destinations
- Travel insurance: how to compare different providers
Business Blog Ideas for Beginners
If you are an entrepreneur, you already have a large audience market. People are quitting from their jobs in droves and many of them are looking for business ideas to launch. As a startup founder, you can share your experience and expertise and help others like you find the way.
You can share about your journey from start to finish, talk about the hurdles and how you overcame them, lessons that you are learning still, and things you want to achieve.
- Who am I and why did I start this blog?
- X Software tools I use daily for my work as (insert your job title)
- What does the post-pandemic world look like for businesses in the (insert your industry) sector
- What not to do as you market your product for the first time
- X Lessons I learned while championing for business intelligence adoption
- A photo dump of what our office looks like on a given day!
- Here is the success story of how we got our first client
- X Statistics you need to know about the future of (an area of your business)
- One event you must attend if you are serious about your business
- You guys talked about our return policy (or some other thing) and here’s how we are making it better
- X Reasons why our customers like (your top-rated product) so much!
- We are planning some changes in our web design – here is what you can expect
- Perks or better pay: what are employees looking for (in your industry)
- We sat down with (an industry influencer you interviewed) and learned some facts!
- Want to learn more about (your job/industry)? these 5 books can help
Personal Blog Ideas for Beginners
If you are wondering “can I blog about myself’”, the answer is a resounding yes. People love personal stories. Write about your hobbies, interests, passions, causes that you believe in, activism that you want to be (or are) a part of, and so much else that you find close to your heart.
When you write about personal blog topics, it again gives you an edge over others who may be doing it for pure commercial reasons. People who pour their heart and soul into their craft tend to have a passionate voice that carries through to their content.
The confidence you exude through your writing helps your readers trust the information that you are giving. These kinds of topics usually create the most popular types of blogs.
- What got me into (your niche) and how is it going?
- X Things I learned while apartment hunting for the first time
- The X food stalls to definitely checkout this Sunday on farmer’s market
- My 3 step fix to overcome procrastination
- 5 big questions about the (any trending/controversial topic)
- A glimpse into my day
- I’ve been riding subways for 10 years. Here are the etiquettes to adhere to
- 5 Fictional characters that I’m in love with and why
- X Instagram accounts I follow religiously for high-quality humour
- I saw this meme yesterday and now I have questions
- How did I set up my website for this blog – the complete guide
- Here’s how I got into personal finance and why you should too
- X Stories that proof that there are more ways to succeed than with a college degree
- My anxiety is at its worst in mornings – X ways I overcome it everyday
- Why do you need a content calendar for your personal blog?
Trending Blog Ideas for Beginners
No matter your niche, the trending topics can help give you a handful of content ideas to start with. Google Trend page or the built-in search features on every major social media can guide you towards topics that people are talking about the most.
Facebook, Twitter, Reddit, and Instagram are some of the most popular social platforms to look for news as it happens.
- X Things that have trended on twitter in the past month
- Metaverse for the dumb: Let’s de-jargon the discussion
- Top X issues facing the (any popular industry you have expertise in)
- How does talking about trending topics improve your SEO
- Can you make money from blogging? It’s a yes or no question.
- X Marketing automation tools you should checkout
- The best Instagram accounts you need to follow for writing advice you can actually use
- X Statistics about (any industry) that we should be talking about more
- What topics are trending in (your industry) this week?
- Everyone is talking about (any trending fad) but is it worth it?
- (A popular show/book/song/movie) launched this week and here are the best internet reactions on it
- How to write an online dating profile – we are tackling high-grade stuff today
- X Divorced parents who are amazing co-parents
- Is there any truth behind the am/pm skincare craze?
- X Hairstyles to try for a cool and easy vibe at work
DIY Blog Ideas for Beginners
If you’re a bit handy you could offer DIY solutions on your blog. These solutions can be about anything from fixes around the house to maintaining a personal calendar. Just keep them easy, short, practical, and actually useful.
- How to create an outdoor pizza oven
- X DIY Hacks to keep your garage neat and organised without losing your mind
- How I made my first $100 with my DIY blog
- X Small ways to improve your bathroom in under 30 minutes
- My 3 favourite projects with reclaimed wood
- How to give your home a rustic beach vibe
- Spruce up your bedroom in under $200
- How to make adult colouring books to sell
- X Easy weekend projects to bookmark and try for later
- I tried (a DIY idea) from (the other blog’s name) and this is how it went
- My favourite YouTube channels for all the DIY inspo I need
- I’ve been doing (your DIY thing) for 5 years and this is what I have learned
- Some basic DIY tools you’re going to need for most projects
- My top safety tips to remember when you start a new project
- Your DIY blog doesn’t have to look unprofessional – Here’s how to fix it
These are my blogging topics for beginners
I hope you liked these blog topic ideas for beginners and you now feel more confident starting a blog and writing blog posts that your readers will love!
If you want more help with your blog, make sure to sign up for my free blogging course below:
Kickstart Your Money Making Blog
Guest Post By Nina Hoffman
Nina Hoffman is a marketing consultant and blogger who has been a part of the startup industry for the past 5 years. She provides optimised content, on-point business strategies, and access to peer networks. She is passionate about helping businesses build a professional online persona through strategic content and effective placements.