Blog Niche Ideas (that set you up for success)
If you’re thinking of starting a blog you probably want to brainstorm some blog niche ideas to make sure you pick the best niche for your blog.
Especially if you’re planning to make money with your blog, you most likely have questions like:
- What is the most profitable niche?
- What types of blog make the most money?
- What are the trending topics for blogging?
In this post I’ll answer these questions and I’ve includes an epic list of blog niche ideas to get you inspired to start your blog!
Pin this post
I may earn a small commission for affiliate links in this post at no extra cost to you. Please read my disclaimer for more information.
What is a blog niche?
When you start a blog, one of the first things you need to do is decide on a niche. A blog niche refers to a specific topic or subject that you write about like travel or craft or parenting.
You can even get more specific and pick a sub niche. A sub niche is a topic within a niche, that is targeted at a more specific audience.
Blog Niche Examples with sub niches are:
- Backpacking in Europe
- Luxury family holidays
- Adventure group tours for singles
- Craft for toddlers and preschoolers
- Recycled paper crafts
- Diy home decor
- Pregnancy and newborn babies
- Teenagers and mental health
- Homeschooling while travelling
As you can see it’s quite important to pick a sub niche because someone who is interested in Adventure group tours for singles won’t be interested in your blog posts about luxury holidays with kids.
Picking the right sub niche for your blog will make your blog relevant for a very particular audience. Because of this you’ll become the go-to expert for this audience and they are more likely to trust you and buy from you.
Lifestyle blog vs niche blog
A lot of new bloggers want to start a lifestyle blog. This might be because they have lots of different topics they want to write about or because they don’t have one particular topic that they are an expert in.
As fun as it may sound to start a lifestyle blog, a niche blog will have a higher chance at succeeding.
There are 3 disadvantages to starting a lifestyle blog:
1. Not having a clearly defined niche may confuse your audience. If someone comes to your blog to read a post about organic skincare they might want to read another related post. If your blog does not have another post about a similar topic, this reader will most likely leave your blog after reading only one post.
2. If you write about fashion, babies, and travel, or any other unrelated topics, you’ll attract a very mixed audience. Because of this you won’t have a clear target audience to solve problems for. If you’re planning to create digital products, this audience will be harder to monetise, since they all have different interests.
3. If every post is about a completely different topic, Google will have trouble understanding what your blog is really about. It will be harder to rank your blog posts in Google because Google will prefer a post from a niche blogger who is an expert on that topic.
The secret to a successful blog is to understand your visitor’s needs and give them all the answers they are looking for. Especially when first starting out you need to pick your ideal client and write all your blog posts targeted at their needs
So if you’re new to blogging and you want to make it easier on yourself, I recommend picking one main blog topic and focus on one target audience. This way you’re more likely to be successful as a blogger.
What is the most profitable niche?
There are several niches that can be highly profitable, some of these are:
- Finance & Wealth
- Health & Wellbeing
- Fitness & Weight Loss
- Craft & DIY
What makes a blog niche profitable?
Any topic that teaches us to become a happier or better version of ourselves has the potential to be very profitable.
The perfect niche needs a combination of 3 things:
- Your skills (what can you help your audience with)
- Demand (for your content, products or service)
- Profitability (opportunities to make money)
As you can see in the infographic below, your perfect blog niche sits right in the sweet spot:
For your blog to be successful you need to make sure your topic is in demand, there are endless topics for content creation and you need to be able to monetise it in some way.
Now you know when a blog niche has potential to be successful, let’s have a look at a list of popular blog niches.
Blog Niche List
Here’s a list with some of the best blog niches of 2020 (and 3 sub niches or trending topics for each):
- Personal Finance
- Frugal living
- Budget Adventure Travel
- Eco Friendly Cities (searches up by 47%)
- Train Travel (searches up by 107%)
- Kids Craft Ideas
- Thrift Shop Crafts (searches up by 2276%)
- Constellation Crafts (searches up by 102%)
Pinterest searches for thrift shop crafts are up by a whopping 2276%.
- Yoga for Kids
- Outdoor Play Areas (searches up by 550%)
- Home Made Baby Food (Pinterest searches up by 379%)
- Vegan Recipes
- Exotic Cuisine
- Home Brewing (searches up by 411%)
- Indian Living Rooms (searches up by 2080%)
- Feng Shui Decor (searches up by 137%)
- Thrifted Home Decor (searches up by 308%)
- Outdoor Bars (searches up by 2795%)
Pinterest searches for Feng Shui Decor like indoor water fountains is up by 917%.
- Slow Fashion
- Grunge Fashion (searches up by 292%)
- Minimalist Fashion
- Organic Skincare
- Make Up Tutorials
- Mental Health & Mindfulness
- Alternative Home Remedies
Online Tech Niche:
- Start an Online Business
- Web Design & Development
- Mobile App development
Sport & Fitness:
- HIIT Workouts
- Extreme Sports
- Wild Camping (searches up 1069%)
- Lake Fishing (searches up by 274%)
- Wedding & Honeymoon
- Relationship Advice
Gender Neutral Niche:
- Unisex Nurseries (searches up by 527%)
- Gender Neutral Haircuts (searches up by 625%)
- Unisex Children’s Clothes (searches up by 119%)
- Green Homes
- Low Waste Living (searches up by 446%)
- Permaculture Gardening
Untapped Niche Markets
For more unique blog ideas or untapped niche markets you can go to Pinterest and check topics or products that are trending on Pinterest.
If you decide to blog about a trending topic or product, make sure this topic has a long lifespan. It needs to be a topic that is evergreen and that people will continue to search for.
Blog niche generator
For more blog niche ideas use the Blog Niche Generator.
Have you found the perfect niche for your blog?
If you’ve found a niche for your blog and you can’t wait to get started, why not fast track to a successful blog with my:
Free Blogging Course
This detailed, no-fluff beginners course shows you exactly how to start a niche blog and all the necessary steps you need to take to be able to make money with your blog.
On completion of the course, you will have a self hosted blog that you own and are completely in charge of. You will have no restrictions when it comes to monetising your blog with ads, affiliate links, sponsored posts or selling products on your blog.
Or if you don’t want to commit to a course yet but you’d like some help planning your blog, grab my Free Ultimate Blog Planner Workbook here ↓